SAVANNAH Georgia (May 25, 2013) — Scratching your heads about what do with the kids in summer 2013? Roadtrip!
Located on the USA east coast, the family-friendly Presidents’ Quarters Inn shares some summer events in Savannah and happenings nearby.
Savannah’s got what kids love! — fireworks, ice cream, pedicabs, puppet shows, horses, summer movies, candy shops, live music, a sandy beach (only 20 minutes, driving east), interactive art and water spray pools, and dolphin cruises. Nearby waters are great spots for ecology trips, kayaking, and paddle surfing.
Telfair Museums — Owens-Thomas House, Jepson Center, and Telfair Academy of Art — offer free admission to military families — Memorial Day through Labor Day (September 2, 2013). “Free admission is offered as part of the Telfair’s partnership with the Blue Star Museums program, which offers military families the chance to visit museums across the country free of charge this summer” states the release:
Turn your youngster loose with a digital camera to record their own memories. We put odds on lots of dog pictures, plus people playing in Forsyth Park where there’s a playground, tennis courts, lots of runners, interactive spray pool, and organic eatery nearby. Farmer’s Market is on Saturdays, beginning at 9 a.m.
For families exploring organic gardening, you’ll love to see the SCAD Community Garden on Boundary Street, near the Talmadge Bridge entrance to downtown Savannah. See the cows in the field at Bethesda Academy Farm & Gardens (one of America’s oldest orphanages) with a delightful farmer’s market under the trees on Thursday (3-5 p.m.).
- First Friday fireworks (each month) on the riverfront, 9:30 p.m., on Historic River Street.
- Through August 9: Children’s puppet shows at Angela Beasley’s “Puppet People” in Thunderbolt
- Through September 30: Savannah Sand Gnats Baseball
- May 31 – August 9: The Beat Goes On, live music on stage at historic Savannah Theatre
- May 31 – June 15 (various dates & times): “Frog and the Toad”, Savannah Children’s Theatre (children from grades 2 – 7, by audition only cast)
- May 31 – June 2: First Annual Blues, Jazz & BBQ Festival on the Savannah riverfront.
- June 8: OAR concert, , 5-10 p.m., Historic Grayson Stadium: Home of the Savannah Sand Gnats
- June 21: Goruck Challenge,
- June 21: The Big Lebowski, Lucas Theatre
- June 21: World Music Day, The Fête de la Musique‘, Savannah French event (TBA)
- June 21-23: Savannah Summer Solstice 2013 Music & Arts Festival at Red Gate Farms, 136 Red Gate Farms Trail. 3 Days of Music, 2 Nights of Camping. Gates will open early Friday with live music to follow. The last musical performance will end Sunday afternoon. Tickets on sale soon, savannahsummersolstice.com or l0vemusic.com.
- June 22: The 18th Annual Savannah Asian Festival, one of Georgia’s largest Asian celebrations, Savannah Civic Center MLK Arena, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- June 22: Summer movie series, “How to Train Your Dragon”, 7 p.m., the historic Lucas Theatre downtown.
- June 23: Tybee Floatilla “Will Float for Food”, 2 p.m. Begins at Alley III and Chatham Ave. and ends at the Crab Shack (with a short break on the “Criminal Island” Sandbar)! Tickets, $34.95. Only 250 participants will be allowed, so be sure to purchase your tickets today! Proceeds from The Tybee Floatilla “Will Float for Food” will benefit Second Harvest Food Bank and Rising Tyde Food Bank. TybeeFloatilla.com.
- June 28: Summer movie series, “Top Hat”, 7 p.m., the historic Lucas Theatre downtown.
- June 29: Summer movie series, “E.T.”, 7 p.m., SCAD’s historic Trustees Theatre, downtown.
- June 30: The Savannah Winds of Armstrong Atlantic State University’s Department of Art, Music & Theatre (Armstrong AMT) celebrating America, the Beautiful, 3 p.m.
- July 3: Fireworks on Tybee Island beach (pier)
- July 4: Fireworks on the Savannah riverfront
- July 13: Summer movie series, “Jurassic Park”, 7 p.m., SCAD’s historic Trustees Theatre
- July 20: Summer movie series, “Mary Poppins”, 7 p.m., historic Lucas Theatre
- July 27: Summer movie series, “Saving Private Ryan”, 7 p.m., SCAD’s historic Trustee Theatre
- August 3: Summer movie series, “Last of the Mohicans”, 7 p.m. historic Lucas Theatre
- September 11 of each year as “Patriot Day.” Flags fly at half-staff. Visit city where we celebrate heroes every day. (Link to video)
- September 21: Opening night of the Savannah Philharmonic 2013-2014 season, Bernstein, Buckley & Beethoven, 7:30 p.m., historic Lucas Theatre. Tickets go on sale on 05/25/2013 at 10 a.m. EST